Films!
Sunday, February 1, 2009

While I like summers more than winters, there's one thing that really rocks in January... Film festival time! We went to three movies yesterday, I was supposed to go with B to all of them but he had a photo shoot at the last minute and couldn't make it to the first one. I went with Emily instead, I had a little hangover so we ate at Burger King, walked around the city after the film and went for tea and ice cream. We had a really nice day. She's had a bit of a rough time with work, she had a nice paying job but before they had to give her a fixed contract they gave her the axe. And then she found another job and the boss man told her she had the job and then told her they went with another girl instead. So she's working at her mom's workplace now but they hired someone else too so she'll be out of work shortly. We talked about getting dole for the time being when you're out of work and we agreed we didn't want to be applying for that. I'd rather work at a restaurant and pay my own way before I do that. It was funny 'cause I went out to dinner with Eva, a girl who used to work at the formal office I work at now but she left and we've become fast friends ever since she left. We had lots of fun when we worked together so we continu to email eachother throughout the work day, you know just to get eachother through the hellish office days. It's fun.

Strenght of water was the first movie, and it really moved me. It's about a Maori family that lives in a remote village with a chicken farm. They have like, 10 kids and there's this 10 y/o twin they focus on. The girl has asthma and the boy always looks out for her, fixing things. When a long lost grand son of a villager returns, the family takes him in for a night and the next morning he and the girl go out for a walk. The story turns to a tragedy after that and it's so heart breaking. The scenery is beautiful, it looks like no man has ever walked that part of earth. It's just so green and windy and it seems like you can see the sea from whatever point on the island. I haven't seen a ray of sunlight during the whole movie so that wouldn't be for me but it's so pure. We don't get that here in the EU. Haven't seen it like that in Asia or South Am either. You'll see the touch of man everywhere. What a waste. Anyways, I say go see! (Btw, I cried, I'm so damn whimpy)

We also went to see Native Dancer. It was a movie filmed in Kazakhstan about an elderly lady who's a healer, like a sjaman. There's humor in it, the lady is hard as nails and keeps hitting men with a cane!, drama and just beautiful lessons on how paper chasing messes people up and how salvation is in spirituality, hope and love. Beautiful scenery, who knew Kazakhstan is so muhafuckin pretty.



And finally we saw Achilles and the Tortoise. I went through this huge Japan phase a few years ago, getting into al kinds of shit about the country, made B drive us across the country to galleries for exhibitions of Japanese artists, read more books about geishas than I'd recommend, saw meters and meters of Japanese films. But at one point it was just too much and I cold turkey'd. The film was ok, but it was a drama, then a comedy and after that a feel-good movie. So it was pretty much all over the place and while I used to dig that Japanese humor, I found it a bit lame yesterday. But maybe that was because I'd alredy seen two movies over the day... if I'd seen this movie first then I could've been more open to it. Anyways, it was about a boy/ma whose goal in life was always to be an artist. Although he's very promising, and tries his best all of his life to fulfill his dream, he doesn't succeed and you see him struggling to try to get his paintings sold and keeps reinventing himself to be more commercially succesful. He fails and fails and borrows money from his prostitute daughter to buy paint. This sounds awful but it really is a funny moment. Come to think of it, there were some really fun parts!

Labels: , ,






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





This is me. 32-year old, mother of 1 and living in Europe. Going through life with one hell of a man, lots of love for my family and a pretty tight circle of mismatched friends. Very self-confident even though I don't know what the fuck I'm doing! (more)