Guilt
Sunday, December 21, 2008

I was brought up with religion. My mom was a devoted Catholic, which meant my bro and I were too. We went to church almost every Sunday and it was great. I had a great time and I really digged Jesus Christ. I also liked the singing and all the other kids there. Then my mom turned 30, went through belated puberty and stopped going. My Dad on the other hand, discovered Allah and his Mohammed and brought me to Mosque. Since I hit my teens really hard, raging hormones, bad boyfriends and dabbling in drugs and everything I stopped going to mosque too.

The thing with organized religion is that it's such a hard-ass guilt-trip. They really try to scare and 'guilt' you into doing stuff. Or, better yet, NOT doing stuff. The hole hell-thing made me go bonkers. I was scared for quite a few years. But I'm beginning to shed that feeling more and more. Being scared of hell or reprimands from God is kinda ridiculous. Bad things will happen to you no matter what, you know what I mean?

But still, I love God.

Labels:






2 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

I dig Santa, and he's so seasonal, too. He doesn't bug you year round. He doesn't show up in May saying "Ya better be good!" He doesn't guilt you into anything--or say "I suffered that whole chimney experience for you!" -- he just arrives in time to get you in the spirit to give to others and think about orphans and charity.

December 23, 2008 at 8:11 AM 


Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

I agree religion is a big guilt trip, but I dig Jesus and he doesn't have to be a guilt trip. There is freedom in knowing whose you are, the bible isn't about rules it is about freedom :) I hope you investigate it for yourself.

January 4, 2009 at 5:10 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





This is me. 32-year old, mother of 1 and living in Europe. Going through life with one hell of a man, lots of love for my family and a pretty tight circle of mismatched friends. Very self-confident even though I don't know what the fuck I'm doing! (more)