Greece part II and a beautiful funeral
Sunday, September 7, 2008

I had a few suprises this weekend. B and I had a quiet night in on friday. We watched Felon, a movie with Stephen Dorff. Although it was a stupified movie, as in they explained everything to the viewer and didn't leave anything to the imagination. It was also with Val Kilmer, haven't seen him in a while. I loved him in The Doors when I was 14!

On Saturday morning B went to pick up his niece who'd just turned 13 and had saved her birthday money for a laptop. I went shopping for a bit myself, I'm on a budget this month and am not allowed to buy any clothes. But since I do not think one must deny herself EVERYTHING (it's just not healthy), I did treat myself to two books. I love American Book Center, it has the best discount books department. Anyways, when I got home I immediately detected a funeral card on my door mat. I recognized the handwriting as my fake mom's. I tear it open and found out that her mom, the grandmother of my best friend in high school, had died. And the funeral was in 1,5 hours! WTF?

I called B and asked him to come with me, and he did. I had lived with my fake mom for a year in high school and had met all of her friends during that time. They were all there, I hadn't seen them in a while and saw them again at this funeral. Including my ex-boyfriend with whom I had this tempestuous, whirlwind relationship with when I was 17 and he was 21. We shared a lot of love but we were both too young and a tad messed up in the head, which made it impossible to have a healthy relationship. It left me heartbroken for a few years, even through my next relationship. I really wasn't over him even though I did hook up with this older guy for a year and eventually broke his heart by leaving.

My ex-bf was there with his his girlfriend, his sister and his mothet who were wonderful to me at the time. Especially his mom was incredible, she always made me feel at home and was very maternal. When I saw her yesterday it was soo good to see her. I felt warm. And then him. I have seen him around town occasionally and was really over him. But yesterday was different, maybe because his mom was there. He lives together with his girlfriend now and they seem happy. She looked a bit wary at me, but that was ok.

My fake mom gave a speech in which she said she was so happy to be her daughter and talked about that her mom had gone through very difficult phases in her life as a woman. She was the wife of a professor doctor and was a nurse and had studied art history herself. She was torn between what she wanted to do and what she had to do according to others (family, peers and society). Stuff every woman, but the generations before mine especially, had to battle with. Her speech made me weep for lots of different reasons. During the condoleances I talked to lots of people and it was very good to see them.

Emancipation, it has come a fucking long way.

After all this, some pics from Greece!





We were passing through this small town when we saw this cute little kid huddling against a street lamp, eating a chocolate cup cake while his eyes darted around, as if he was afraid he'd get caught. We rode past him (he didn't see us, he seemed in trance!) and B and I laughed our asses off. Then, B decided to reverse and take his picture. The boy still didn't even notice we were there while B took it. I don't know if it's ethical to put pictures of people on the blog, especially when I block our faces off but I just couldn't keep this from you.





Lots beautiful flowers!





And more beautiful flowers!





The view from a terrace where we ate sardines and shrimps




Inspired by Squirrel!




Bye bye Greece, hope to see you again some day!

Labels: , , ,






3 Comments:
Blogger d. chedwick had this to say:

the first pic could be called

stolen moment with cupcake

or: moment with stolen cupcake


I want to go to Greece--it looks nice.

Your Tangled film is up!

September 7, 2008 at 7:47 PM 


Blogger The Trustees had this to say:

Hate to be the bearers of bad news, but your fave Prof is like gone, man.

September 8, 2008 at 7:25 PM 


Blogger molly had this to say:

awesome pictures!

September 11, 2008 at 3:44 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





This is me. 32-year old, mother of 1 and living in Europe. Going through life with one hell of a man, lots of love for my family and a pretty tight circle of mismatched friends. Very self-confident even though I don't know what the fuck I'm doing! (more)