Pointillism and fauves
Monday, June 16, 2008

I'm feeling a bit down these days but obligations called: we had a family barbeque at B's aunt this saturday. Ugh. I am awkwardly timid at those events and not because I'm shy. But because I have nothing to say. Plain and simple. And I'm not one to yack about bullshit out of awkwardness. I'm one to just shut the fuck up.

But yesterday B and I went to Van Gogh's museum. It was great! I love Van Gogh. He's the first artist I'd encountered in my childhood years and I loved his paintings from the get-go. His hauntingly beautiful self portraits always struck an almost painful, sensitive chord with me, even at age 10. Or maybe especially. The fact that they said he was crazy, never made money off his art in his life, cut off his earlobe and eventually killed himself really had an impact on me. Still has.

I don't know why tragedy attracts me so.

Labels: ,






2 Comments:
Blogger d. chedwick had this to say:

have you read "Lust for Life" yet? you must if you haven't.

I went to the VG museum in Amsterdam a couple of times, and there were moments I just felt like crying--it's overwhelming. Great modern art in Amsterdam too. (killer licorice too.)

June 16, 2008 at 6:32 PM 


Blogger dennis had this to say:

Dennis wonders what kind of food you had at the BBQ?

June 20, 2008 at 9:29 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





This is me. 32-year old, mother of 1 and living in Europe. Going through life with one hell of a man, lots of love for my family and a pretty tight circle of mismatched friends. Very self-confident even though I don't know what the fuck I'm doing! (more)