Baby I'm too young to handle this, gets around
Saturday, May 24, 2008

These past few weeks I've been in the car with my CEO a few times. I don't have a driver's license so when I have to work at another company of his, I hitch a ride with him. That way he can visit the other companies too. So, we've been talking a lot during those trips. He definitely loves to talk and I am someone who's always looking for answers. B and most of my friends always say stuff to me like: " You and all your Goddamn questions!!!" and frequently roll their eyes when I'm interrupting their stories for the millionth time to ask a question that seems irrelevant to them.

Anyways, the boss-man and I get along well. I'm not doing anything on purpose, I'm just being me. He's also a racecar diver, he has a few racecars and his son also drives and flies airplanes. We talked about that when we were driving back to our head office and it was all cool.

So yesterday, when it was almost 5 o'clock the big cheese comes into our room (I share it with 3 other women) and invites me over to the circuit on sunday to ride in his racecar and see how it "works". He said he'll pay for my fare so I don't have to worry about a thing. He didn't ask the other co-workers so they were like, "Nigga whut???". No one else has ever had this invitation, especially not after only working there for 1,5 month. I asked him if I could take someone with me and he hestitated for a moment and said he isn't gonna pay for that person. I told him that's ok, as long as we both can enter the premises.

So I'm gonna take B with me. Although I find it very nice of him to ask me, and it makes me feel a tad bit special that he asked me only, I also don't know what to think of it. I do know as the young woman that I am, I shouldn't be naive. So, I'm taking B and if he's not this nice to me anymore after that, then he's a wanker.

Am I paranoid? I don't know. But I do know that when things seem too good to be true, chances are, they are indeed.

I also know that there's always gossip and I'm already the odd one out at this point. B says I shouldn't worry about those people because I don't need them. They're not the one's who are going to help me get further in life. And he's right. But I don't want to be seen as someone who sucks up to the big boss. People like that suck!

Labels:






4 Comments:
Blogger d. chedwick had this to say:

hmmm this is a toughie but I think you're smart to take B as long as B is nice, but lets you chat with the boss and let's the boss talk. in pother words, B must be willing to sit back and let you and boss interact, which is probably what boss wants--an interested person to show this stuff to.

if B is like a flea on a dog or displaying affection for you on this semi/quasi biz outing, it won't work. So establish ground rules first or go alone and wing it--it may be that boss wants nothing more than to have a daughterly person to hang with --if he had a bad motive you would have sensed it by now, right?

remember you invited B , your boss did not. B should buy the boss a drink or food or something if the opportunity arises

May 24, 2008 at 10:57 AM 


Blogger Chedwick University had this to say:

there's an old book called "Games Mother Never Taught Me" or something like that about politics and work, and how to deal. Sadly women have the same problems at work every decade, so it's not a bad idea to check out some of these books --the biggest mistake people make is to assume that they 'have nothing to do with office politics" just being there puts you into them.

May 24, 2008 at 11:18 AM 


Blogger Chedwick University had this to say:

oops well I was close anyway--here I found this for you-


Games Mother Never Taught You: Corporate Gamesmanship for Women. Betty Lehan Harragan. Warner Books. 1977 (a classic book for anyone who wants to understand corporate politics)

I owned this book in the 80s--it was super valuable to have as a reference book.

May 24, 2008 at 11:22 AM 


Blogger Ms. Wollstonecraft had this to say:

I think it's cool you were invited! pls take pics and post about it.

May 25, 2008 at 9:36 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





This is me. 32-year old, mother of 1 and living in Europe. Going through life with one hell of a man, lots of love for my family and a pretty tight circle of mismatched friends. Very self-confident even though I don't know what the fuck I'm doing! (more)