The big picture post - part one
Monday, February 4, 2008

Finally, I can share the wonderfulness of our vacation with you! Let's start in Bangkok!


The Chatuchak weekend market in Bangkok where you can buy anything you'd ever imagined and then some. Like, worms, cockroaches and fried baby birds. Bon appetit!



Or the cutest little dehydrated puppies...



We had lunch, fed the fish and took a boatride over the big Chao Praya river. It's beautiful!



This whole vacation was filled with Buddha. I'm not a Buddhist and don't believe burning incense will please Buddha and make my life better but they sure make beautiful temples. This the ceiling of one of the many temples we've seen.



Our view at a very nice restaurant near Koh San Road (the street where there are more tourists than Bangkok-i-ans) where three waitresses stared at me for the entire meal. The looks on their faces when I picked up the tab and paid instead of my white ass boyfriend was priceless, though.


The rooftop swimming pool where B's best friend lives. We spent newyears eve on the roof with some drinks, conversation and a terrible hangover. When we were standing in front of a cab, I fell over, couldn't get up; B and his friend had to lift me. I was laughing the whole time. As you can imagine I was acting very, very classy.


Bye bye to Bangkok and hello Hanoi! (I'm in a corny mood, can't help myself)




Vietnam really is motorbike country. There are something like 50 million motorbikes in that country. It's insane! They come from every angle, honking their horns and not looking when they want to insert themselves into your lane. Luckily and suprisingly we didn't see many accidents, except for one, where a man or woman had tragically died and was lying on the street with a little straw mat on top of him/her. Almost every tourist we talked to that had the balls to rent a motorbike had big ass scars on his elbows.



There are lots of beautiful colonial buildings in Hanoi. I think when it comes to architecture,
Hanoi was the most appealing city we visited. It was very cold though, so that was a bit of a bummer, especially since I only brought one vest and at the end of the Hanoi-part we had become one. Ugh.



Halong Bay! This was the best, there were little islands everywhere and it felt like we were in a fairytale kingdom. There were trips that cost a 100 bucks but we decided to take a budget trip that only cost half. Well, if you ever go to Halong Bay, it's best to invest in a pricier one! We had dirty linens, a very dirty shower and regular visits from cockroaches and rats in our cabin. We did not see them but we sure heard them! The scenery made up for all the fucked up bits.


Inside one of the caves...


The view after we'd hiked all the way up one of the islands. So fuckin' cool it made my skin crawl.
Blogger's being a slow bitch and isn't exactly with me on the whole posting lots of pictures plan. That and I have enough of it so part two is coming up sometime soon.






6 Comments:
Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR had this to say:

WOW - It looks like it was a lot of fun. The food? Not so much, but the rest of it looked AWESOME!

February 4, 2008 at 7:22 AM 


Blogger d. chedwick bryant had this to say:

Beautiful--Love the Buddhist temple--I'd almost travel there just to see that...and munch on some fried bugs. Gorgeous shots!

February 4, 2008 at 4:08 PM 


Blogger taco fetishist had this to say:

Erstaunlich! Wie den Koch die kleinen Hunde tun?
Braten sie sie oder rösten sie?

wunderbare Fotographien !!!!!

February 4, 2008 at 4:12 PM 


Blogger M had this to say:

Fabulous. I must return for part 2!

February 4, 2008 at 6:51 PM 


Blogger Jenn had this to say:

Looks amazing. So, did you try the bugs? How about baby birds?

February 8, 2008 at 7:48 AM 


Blogger dennis had this to say:

Dennis is up for some fried cockroaches!

February 8, 2008 at 6:29 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





This is me. 32-year old, mother of 1 and living in Europe. Going through life with one hell of a man, lots of love for my family and a pretty tight circle of mismatched friends. Very self-confident even though I don't know what the fuck I'm doing! (more)