A big girl's world
Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I've been at work for a week now and while I've made "friends" with the women I share an office space with, I kind of turned down my lady boss two times this week. She asked me to have lunch with her and I said "I already ate" twice. And I was just being honest, I always bring sandwiches to lunch and eat them at my desk. I like going on the internet during lunch break and read blogs and stuff. And tonight it hit me: I should have GONE WITH HER!!!

I'm such an idiot. Well, maybe I'll ask her to go have lunch tomorrow. I'm soooo not good at this networking thing. But everyone says it's the way to go if you really want to get somewhere, professionally. I have 4 marketingmanagers above me and one has already said that there's a possibility that she could hook me up after this job. She knows people, she's way up there. And one of my new collegues who's going to work for a new firm in Asia in about two months has told me there's an opening at his new company. And I kind of ignored him because I had work to do and I didn't know how to do it and I had to call Emily in secret to ask her how to do it.

I am such an idiot. I lose my long-term view sometimes. If there's anyone out there who has some advice on dealing with the professional world for this flat-ass greenie, by all means, drop me a line. Lord knows I need it.

Labels:






3 Comments:
Blogger Just Beachy had this to say:

LOL. I am SO like you. It was fun to read this post. First off, Never "not" go to the lunch with the boss. Even if you have eaten (she is buying) and you can always have a salad, and nibble and say you are trying to fit into your new swimsuit!

Second. Most people are trying to impress you so their what they can do for you's should be taken with blah, blah ears. You continue on and if they truly like your work, they will be impressed that you didn't try to smooze them.

Third. Tact. My hardest area to concur. You must learn tact to get ahead in the professional world. Never write a note to deal with an issue when you can confront in person, that is passive agressive, but always start with allowing the other person know that you have heard what they said...if you agree with it or not. Most people just want to know they are heard and that their ideas have some merit.

Hope that helps.

February 20, 2008 at 2:28 PM 


Blogger Just Beachy had this to say:

LOL conquer...not concur...silly me.

February 20, 2008 at 2:29 PM 


Blogger Professor Montblanc had this to say:

Your boss will be impressed with your honesty and hard work, as you lunch at your desk.

If she really wanted to make a special point of lunch, she would invite you the day before, so you would not bring your lunch. She is asking on the spur of the moment, not for "business" reasons.

And so, delay your lunch a bit, and go with her once in a while if she asks, but be prepared to pay your share or leave a tip, just in case--as you do not know for sure.

Also impress her with your lovely manners at lunch.
Don't allow the lunch to become her grilling you, and say only positive upbeat things about everyone and everything in your life.


Please I am hoping you can help me this week with my classes.

February 23, 2008 at 6:49 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





This is me. 32-year old, mother of 1 and living in Europe. Going through life with one hell of a man, lots of love for my family and a pretty tight circle of mismatched friends. Very self-confident even though I don't know what the fuck I'm doing! (more)